Thursday, February 14, 2008

dog show



Last summer, our features picture editor left the company and unfortunately we still haven't hired yet. Which means, we have been short-handed on the editing side for months. So, we have all been pitching in to edit feature stories.

This story fall into my lap at the last minute - literally. Ideally, it would have been great to sit down with the photographer, look through all the pictures and edit together. Realistically, this doesn't happen very frequently at the paper because of photographer's schedule and the sheer volume of work the picture editors have nowadays.

The photographer had put in a solid collection of about 6-8 pictures. I talked to the designer, I read the story and then I called the photographer and we had a good conversation about the direction of the story we wanted to tell. So, I gave the pictures to the designer---and this is how the page turned out. I wish we were able to get more space inside - and I wish the 3 small pictures inside that go with another story weren't there but I think the package turned out nice.

Most people think that because I am the "sports" picture editor, I don't like other sections - like local or features - but actually, just the opposite is true. I really like editing for those sections. For one, it provides a nice break from sports. And it also provides a whole new set of challenges for me. And I love a good challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home