Thursday, May 24, 2007

Overkill?



For Tuesday's paper we decided to centerpiece the NBA draft lottery---using the two main draft picks, Oden and Durant. For Wednesday's paper, after receiving the No. 2 pick, we decided to centerpiece Kevin Durant, the player who most people believe will be the No.2 pick in the draft. For Thursday's paper---guess who we centerpieced? You got it---Kevin Durant. One of our reporters flew to Las Vegas to interview him. The NBA draft is June 28. Do you think we are overplaying a situation that won't happen for another month?

Well, perhaps not story wise but I think we could be as far as making it centerpiece pictures. It is huge for a dying troubled team like the Sonics to get such a high pick--bringing young star talent to the team. But frankly, there is just not a lot of pictures out of there of Durant---pictures that I would like as centerpiece. On Monday night, I sat with our designer and we looked at pictures of Oden and Durant for a long time trying to come up with good combinations for the centerpiece. On Tuesday, I started calling Texas papers knowing that Durant will be a centerpiece for us down the road---looking for non-action type pictures of him---perferably portraits.

I have a challenge ahead of me. There will be at least 4 more times that Kevin Durant will likely be our sports centerpiece before the end of June and I have already starting running out of pictures. I need to find ways to keep the art fresh so our readers don't get bored with our presentation. Not sure how I will accomplish that yet----but I'll keep you posted.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home