Tuesday, September 25, 2007

the miracle



Gloria passed away last week. I've been amazed how many people were touched by her story. Columnist Jerry and photographer Steve have really done a remarkable job and have really drawn in the community to this little girl. It's been very humbling and incredibly moving to be a part of the experience.

Above, is how we ran the story the day after she died. Our photographer Steve photographed the parents in a hotel room where they were staying for the night. But we still wanted to focus on Gloria and how she lived and cared for so many other people. We never ran this picture in the segments.

And while this was Gloria's story, I can't help but to remember Emily. The 5-year old girl with cancer I photographed and whose story I told while working in New Hampshire. The stories are very similar. Emily came from a large, very religious family. I am not as good of a writer as Jerry and not as good a photographer as Steve - I know that Emily touched many lives as well. Most imporantly, she touched mine. No question, I am a better person because of her.

Below, is Emily during ballet class, exactly two weeks before she died. Enjoying life to the very end.



You can read the story of emily here: http://www.carrieniland.com/stories.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home