Saturday, March 31, 2007

portrait of portraits...



This is a story I really wish we could have gone deeper with. This former college QB was injuried during the season and discovered he had a brain tumor. He had surgery, went through rehabilation and has decided to play baseball now that his football career has ended. Very cool story.....

We went out shot him during baseball practice---went to his parents house, shot his parents, letters that random people have written to help inspire the kid. But we lacked something. I wanted a nice portrait of him or something that really showed him in his everyday envirnoment. It became difficult for us to lock down time to spend with him and with our deadline approaching we had to change directions.

I thought this picture really depicts what this kid is all about---sports. It was a nice job to illustrate the story differently- and I like it. However, I wish we lost the lower picture on the page that shows him today. I think we would've been better off running that picture on the jump page inside because it essentially says the same thing as the main picture. But I liked the fact that the photographer was thinking during the assignment---shot a picture that isn't normally a centerpiece....but ended up being something that really told the story perfectly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home