Thursday, May 31, 2007

a toast...



As an editor, I really try and strive to include photographers in the editing process and really listen to their thoughts about the pictures. One reason I became a photo editor was to help ensure that the photographers' vision and voice would be heard in the newsroom.

It is really important to me that we discuss what images photographers like and why. I don't necessarily always agree with what they say and sometimes edit differently- but I feel I always listen and take into account their opinions. I have discovered that some photographers like this and really embrace my approach and other photographers have a different reaction. I'll ask what their favorite photo is from the event---and they will say stuff like "dude, you are the editor. It's your choice" - Which I appreciate sometimes, but I also like to know what the photographer is thinking. Or maybe they say this because they have such confidence in my abilities.

This is a story about a war veteran and his war buddies. They had decided to buy a bottle of cognac a long time ago and the last one to survive would drink the bottle and toast them all. Our photographer did a great job shooting the pictures and it ran with a nice slideshow for the web. The audio was just perfect.

We had great space in the local section and the package ran very well. The next day the photographer sent me and the designer a nice note which said "If I live to a hundred there could not be better treatment for the "toast to the fallen". Thank You"

It is days like today that I actually feel like I am doing a good job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home