Sunday, January 14, 2007

the playoff stat page



This is the new stat page that we decided to unleash for the playoffs this year. The goal of the page is to give the readers a quick look at a game summary that is broken up into halfs, but requiring pictures that sum up each quarter. I wasn't crazy about this from the moment I saw it. And I think part of that was I learned about the page two days before the playoff game. But there were other reasons I didn't like. First, I find it awkward to read. I follow pictures left to right on this page and the quarters go up and down. (if you look closely it is because there is two columns, one for each half.) Second, I didn't like the idea of being locked into certain shapes for each quarter. I also thought this would be very tough to do on a very tight deadline, which we had on Saturday night. All of which were valid concerns and which I thought required different options in case we got into a bind.

In the end, I guess it worked out alright. I was editing from the game, but the editor in the office thought that it was a little tricky, especially when a picture she wanted to place there didn't fit the right shape, but overall it was okay. We didn't launch it for the first edition---it only ran in our final edition of the night, which helped with the tight deadline with the first edition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home