Thursday, March 13, 2008

alexia

The Alexia Foundation for world peace is dedicated to helping professional and student photographers produce photographs that promote world peace and cultural understanding. That's the official slogan. But let me assure you, it is so much more than that.

When I was a student at Syracuse University, the competition was huge part of my experience. The open judging of the competitions were so inspirational and educational. So much so, that our fantastic teacher created a Chili Festival to accompany it. The Chili Festival was essentially a huge party to eat good food, have a beer, relax and have a chance to interact with the judges that came into town for the weekend.

The foundation is named after a student photographer at Syracuse that was studying at the university's London program for a semester in 1988. Alexia Tsairis and 34 other Syracuse University students were killed when a bomb exploded on Pan-Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. Her parents created this foundation in her memory.

Over the years, it has grown to become a well known, highly respected competition. And rightly so. The prizes include grants for photographers to continue their work---and to help promote world peace and cultural understanding. Not many of today's competitions offer these incentives.

It had been a few years since I had been back to Syracuse University to witness the judging. Many of my fellow Syracuse alumni and I used to make the trek back every year despite the frigid February weather. But for the past 3 years or so, I had other commitments and wasn't able to attend.

This year, the university held a video workshop for students the day before. Two of my good friends were going back to help the students so I decided to tag along for the workshop---and then to watch the judging. First of all, hats off to my friends Mike and Seth, both of whom I was super impressed with and frankly proud to know.

The quality of photographers that enter this competition is mind-boggling. Looking at the pictures, I remembered what I loved about photography and why I entered this field to begin with. I sat at the judging for hours just soaking in all the inspiration and all the energy I could. It was so wonderful to see work that has impact, told story stories and made you feel emotion.

Not to diminish what newspapers are about or the work I do. But I think, especially working at a newspaper, it is so easy to lose sight of why we love photography. And how and why pictures move us and can leave an impact on our souls. We get so wrapped up in the daily grind, we don't focus on what really matters.

It was so good to feel that passion again.

Listening to the judges debate and discuss pictures was also pretty inspiring. There are so many ways to look at one specific image, it's important to hear the other sides. What makes and breaks a good image and the importance it has on the overall story.

Check the website to learn more.

http://www.alexiafoundation.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home