Sunday, May 25, 2008

kayaking with orcas



Doesn't that sound awesome. I was talking to one of the copy editors I work with last week and she was telling me about her kayaking adventure. And heck, it sounded fun and I wanted to do it too.

Orcas are also known as Killer Whales. Needless to say, when I was chit-chatting with my mom on the phone about my upcoming trip she insisted I fill out a living will. She went from "make sure you have a living will" to "be sure to send me lots of pictures" in a matter of a few minutes. I wasn't that nervous, Killer whales don't really want to eat people, they received their "killer" status because they do sometimes eat other, smaller whales. But there was no need to worry, because we struck out and didn't see any whales at all. The pod that was swimming near the island decided to go the other direction, away from our kayak tour. What a bummer!

But it was still a fun day kayaking around and seeing the amazing sights. In the picture above, the land to the right is Victoria, BC and to the left, hazed out by the clouds you can barely make out the Olympic Mountains.

We did encounter other wildlife though, such as Harbor Seals and a few Bald Eagles.





This was our campsite. Pretty awesome falling asleep to frogs and crickets and waking up within steps of a very chilly lake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home