Wednesday, January 16, 2008

political bias



This is always a touchy topic. Media's political bias. Of course, that is, if there is one. Personally, I'd like to think that most newspapers struggle with trying to keep a fair, unbalance view of stories. Any stories. That is, after all, one of our main goals. To tell news without an opinion.

The same is true with photographs. Photographs can be misleading, they can be inaccurate. And it is important to make sure that the pictures in the newspaper depict a fair and accurate of account of what happened. Not to judge, but to document.

I don't think we did this here. I think we had good intentions though. I don't think we were trying to intentionally trying to make Hillary look bad. After all the pictures I've seen of HIllary, she doesn't photograph all that well in excitable situations.

During the last primary season, i was working in New Hampshire and covered Howard Dean. Well, the big story up there was how he essentially freaked out after the Iowa caucus. Is it possible that Hillary had done the same thing?

I admit I haven't been paying close attention to the primaries up to this point. Sure, I've read stories in the paper when I must and I know who wins each state.

I was off this day, so I really didn't pay attention to any news. I don't know the answers. I didn't see what pictures were available, and I don't know what the big story was. My judgement here is from glancing at the paper when I was eating breakfast.. and is that fair? I don't know, but I tend to think that is what most of our readers do too.

But it's always interesting seeing readers responses to certain topics and how people always jumping to conclusions about things being one way or the other without knowing what really goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home